Sunday 15 February 2015

Raft Blues (2015), Invitation to the Blues, PuntWG, Amsterdam

Within this series of four nights. The PuntWG was transformed in a Juke Joint. To give a personal summary on the descriptive text on the PuntWG website, the space became a meeting spot for different people, artists, art lovers and musicians. It offered concerts, performances and art. The Juke Joint functioned as a hide out, a place were daily problems and existential thoughts were being shared, got rid of and neutralised.

From origin the Juke Joint is an informal happening where music, dance, jokes and tales, food and drinks, and occasionally some gambling were present. Especially in the 19th century it was run and visited by afro-americans in the south-east of the US. It was an alternative for the, only whites allowed places. They were mostly situated on crossings at the periphery of the city or located deep in the woods.


I took the opportunity to use the space for my own blues. The Juke Joint became a multi-functional place for me, turning my Raft Blues perhaps into something more brighter and positive. Something to look forward to in the process. I approached the show and used the situation to create a practical solution for my blues. This was part of the concept, blurring the daily life and art (as an abstraction of life) and reversing the two. Making my art more part of my daily life. Placing art, utilising it, in the context of daily life, as a continuation and part of the whole.


Also this work is connected to my empirical research/performative work in alternatives in domestic living. A search and idealism in ways of living can be seen as a form of struggle. So I dealt with the situation that appeared itself. I used this opportunity to store the materials that were on the raft and brought them into the gallery space. From these materials I made a temporary sculpture or structure. The sculpture resembles the initial purpose of the materials, to make a shelter on the raft. At the same time this show gave me the opportunity to replace a leaking barrel and work on the raft.


The sculpture was also build with the intention to use it as an instrument within a sound performance. With a straw bale I created a seat for individual contemplation. Playing and making use of the structure in which the struggle with my raft echoed on through sound, creating a Raft Blues song.


The performance was together with François Dey, I used a contact microphone connected to my circuit bended secondhand Casio keyboard. Using the sonorous qualities of the physical object, applying the contact microphone to different materials. Having in mind the relation between timbre and material, thinking in terms of form, length and tension. I made on the standing pillar some sort of mono-chord. The whole process was exposed, gradually building a sonic structure were pulse went in and out of phase, improvising and being in dialogue with François. We were physically separated. It was something of an experiment, something we hadn't tried yet. He was located with his tape-machine and synthesiser on the other side of a separation wall within the same space.


The Blue-print depicts my raft and was printed on a piece of paper of an old notebook, found in the deserted village Tsarino. I recently learned this printing technique from a friend. You draw lines in fine styrofoam, apply paint and print.




No comments:

Post a Comment